Saturday, April 7, 2012

Motivation: Found.

From the time we're born, we wonder what our purpose is in the world, and (hopefully) how we can make it better using the talents we already have.  One of my talents, unfortunately, is thinking too much at night, or in this case 4:30 a.m.  This talent, however, has finally organized my scattered thoughts into an epiphany that every college student dreams of having--the sudden realization of what I want to accomplish in life.  My mind found a way to combine my trust in the good of human beings, and my belief that everyone deserves a chance or two in life, with the idea that people should be able to be financially comfortable doing what they like to do for a career.  When I say financially comfortable, I mean somewhat financially secure, because let's face it; especially with today's interest rates, it would be nearly impossible to pay off all bills on time and in full.

The issue I have with society these days is that some subject areas lack job availability.  These subjects I call "failed" majors.  From what I have seen, most unhappy retail workers graduated with a degree in English, History, Philosophy, Psychology, or Communications.  Though these subjects are extremely valuable to shaping our culture, jobs are scarce, especially for the new, fresh-off-the-college-boat workers.  It is my goal to use writing skills to build a name for people in these fields and help them get into the job that they most desire.

Here's a summary of what I hope to accomplish:

I want to set up a "writer's clinic" of some sort that would help people write about their favorite subjects.  Mainly, it is for people who graduated with the majors I listed earlier.  In my experience, it is difficult for students with those majors to find jobs.  Writing a book about the subject would put their name out there for employers and would help them to find a job in the career they desire, instead of settling for a job filled with misery and a lower pay.

No comments:

Post a Comment