Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Should I Feel Embarrassed, Or Embarrassed For Feeling Embarrassed?

These past few weeks, I have been focusing on the "hero" genre.  I, for one, have never read a DC or Marvel comic (with the exception of one issue about Raven years ago), and for some awful reason I've looked down on comic geeks.  If anything, it's the style of the drawing: really jacked guys with a lot of use of shadows on everything, no eyes drawn on anyone, just masks, and all of the females are skinny, muscular, and have exaggerated... "other" features.  But I must say, the creative genius the writers put in to their work is quite impressive.  They create elaborate environments, planets, stories, villains, heroes, powers, and plot-lines that cannot be matched easily.  And unlike most stories with a beginning and an end, the creation of a universe is continuous, with endless possibilities.  You want some guy to come back from the dead?  So be it.  Add another hero?  One was just born.  The story is so endless, so involving to the reader, that the stories never end until either a company or a writer casts it aside.  Even then, another writer can think of something else to add to the story.  To the reader, without a writer to continue a work that "ended", the job of creator falls into their heads.  They recreate the missing pieces into something that makes sense, so they will always continue it in their head.  Problem is, only a few record their ideas.

My ideas were mostly recorded, but unfortunately, they would not be legal to publish.

On a related note, I have a confession to make, especially to my family and close friends (because you're the only ones who read this other than the Russians sending me ads to shorten the domain name).  I won't tell you this in person, but I actually love this stuff.  I was obsessed with the show Teen Titans as a kid, but I was unsure if I saw all the episodes.  So, this summer, I re-watched all 67 of them. Yup.  Then re-watched most of them again.  Then, to finally put it in my past, I watched Young Justice because it had some similar characters and was meant for the same age group.  (Yes, I realize 18 is probably not included in that group).

Of course, I'll never admit to watching those shows to people I actually know, because it's a little embarrassing.

...Okay, very embarrassing.

It was after watching Teen Titans that I decided I wanted to create my own hero.  Hell, at one point I even looked up internships on the DC website.  If my obsession continues, I'll apply for one in Boston. At first, the hero thing went great, until I came to a roadblock.  I then started watching Young Justice and discovered that I like the group hero thing better than the solo characters.  So guess what I did: I created 5 (yes, five) new heroes (God I feel so nerdy) and came up with a setting.  I never would have guessed that my next writing project would be a comic book series or graphic novel.

Just one problem: I can write, not draw.  A hero novel cannot be written.  Fight scenes would basically be, "She punched him, he punched her back."  The only logical method would be to write either a comic or a graphic novel.  Oh, and I may have failed to mention, I CAN'T DRAW!  That means I either have to learn (as of now, I barely have the patience to even finish one drawing. I tried.), or a more logical answer, I find someone who can draw for me.  Oh, and, I don't have money to hire someone.  Maybe I'll find a cartooning student at school who will agree to translate my words into colorful drawings.

No comments:

Post a Comment